5 Tips for Choosing the Right Pool Installer
Posted By: Dave Warren
Posted on: June 30th, 2016
Are you dreaming about adding a pool to your new home? Are you eager to give your existing backyard a facelift? Whatever your reason, undertaking a pool installation is a major expense. It’s important to find an experienced pool installer to complete the project and guarantee safe, quality workmanship.
Check out these five tips to help you find a trustworthy, reputable pool installer:
1. Research the Company
Not all pool installers are created equal, which is why it’s important to thoroughly research the companies you’re considering before you make your final choice.
Make sure you confirm that:
- They have a permanent physical location, whether a showroom or a dedicated pool store. Pay them a visit so you can see the products available and meet the staff before signing any contracts.
- They’re a member of the Pool and Hot Tub Council of Canada (PHCC). A member like Total Tech Pools promises to abide by the Council’s Code of Ethics and perform the highest levels of workmanship.
- They’re in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. A BBB profile will include current and resolved complaints, customer reviews, and the company’s current rating.
2. Confirm They Have Worker’s Compensation and General Liability Insurance
If something goes wrong while a pool installer or one of their staff is working on your pool – whether they’re injured or your home is damaged – you can be held liable if the installer doesn’t have valid insurance.
Make sure you work with a pool installer who can prove they have two kinds of coverage:
- General Liability Insurance, which will protect your home or property if the installer causes damage while working on your pool.
- Workers Compensation, which provides coverage if an installer or one of their staff is injured while on the job.
3. Check References
Some pool installers will be able to give you a list of references. You don’t need to check all of them, though you should pick a few – especially those with needs resembling yours.
Questions to ask can include:
- What type of pool was installed?
- Was the work completed on time?
- Were there any surprises along the way? If so, how did the installer deal with them?
- Were the installers considerate and courteous about your needs?
Don’t forget to check out third-party review sites like HomeStars. These sources give you insight into what real customers have to say about the companies they’ve worked with.
4. Obtain Several Estimates
You should obtain written estimates from different companies to compare:
- Prices each pool installer offers you.
- The materials each company will use.
- The level of workmanship and service they provide.
As you’re weighing your options, remember that the cheapest estimate is rarely the best. Installing a new pool is a major investment. You need to make your decision based on the standards of workmanship an installer will provide so that saving a few dollars now doesn’t cost you more down the road.
5. Trust Your Gut
Does something seem off about a pool installer you met with? Whether big or small, trust your gut if you feel uneasy.
Red flags to watch out for include:
- Providing unrealistically low estimates.
- Pushing you to make your decision hastily.
- Pressuring you to secure financing through the pool company or an associated partner.
- Asking for upfront payment – in part or in full – in cash.
- Being generally unprofessional in their appearance, behaviour, and attitude.
Whatever size or type you envision, your pool is an important long-term investment. Choosing the right installer is the best way to guarantee you, your family, and your friends will enjoy making the most out of it for years to come!
Is a new pool on your mind? Schedule a free in-home consultation today to discuss the vision you have for your backyard!
- 5 Tips for Installing New Pools in Oakville
- Total Tech Pools Celebrates 25th Anniversary
- 4 Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Pool Liner
- Why You Shouldn’t Close Your Pool Too Early - September 20, 2019
- The Saber BBQ Grilling Guide - August 23, 2019
- Safety Cover Sale: Book Before September 8th and Save 10% Plus Get a Free Pool Closing! - August 13, 2019
- Summer Grilling with Green Mountain Grills Pellet Smokers - July 16, 2019
- Spoil Dad with Our Father’s Day Sale - June 7, 2019
- How to Choose the Right Liner for Your Pool - May 22, 2019
- Thanks for Making Total Tech’s 21st Annual Spring Sale and BBQ a Huge Success! - April 30, 2019
- New Outdoor Cooking Equipment for the 2019 BBQ Season - April 18, 2019
- Join Us for Our 21st Annual Spring Sale and BBQ: April 27th & 28th - April 12, 2019
- New Seminar: Basic Pool Operations and Pool Opening - April 9, 2019